Top 20 Films of 2017

To go out on a limb (although all are welcome to join), I would say that 2017 has been the best year of film releases in as long as I've been deliberating each 'year in film'.

Not only in terms of the quality but also in the range of genres, styles and voices. I'll limit myself to 20, but I could've easily gone to 30+ and found films that I have a lot of time for and may have made lists from previous years.

As ever, I've gone by UK release dates (theatrical where available). Full reviews (where available) are linked in each entry.



20. THELMA
Dir. Joachim Trier



---


19. BLADE RUNNER 2049
Dir. Denis Villeneuve


---

18. ELLE
Dir. Paul Verhoeven




---

17. THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER
Dir. - Yorgos Lanthimos


---

16. TONI ERDMANN
Dir. Maren Ade


---


15. SILENCE
Dir. Martin Scorsese


---


14. GOOD TIME
Dir. Josh & Benny Safdie


---


13. AFTER THE STORM
Dir. Hirokazu Kore-eda

Dir. Katell Quillévéré

Dir. James Gray


---


10. ALIEN COVENANT
Dir. Ridley Scott


---


9. LA LA LAND
Dir. Damien Chazelle

Dir. Ben Wheatley

Dir. Stephen Cone


Dir. Pablo Larraín


---


5. MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
Dir. Kenneth Lonergan


---


4. 20th CENTURY WOMEN
Dir. Mike Mills


---


3. MOONLIGHT
Dir. Barry Jenkins


---


2. WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES
Dir. Matt Reeves


---



1. CERTAIN WOMEN
Dir. Kelly Reichardt


The full list of everything I saw from 2017 is available HERE on Letterboxd.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine - Dir. Danny Boyle

Certain Women - Dir. Kelly Reichardt

John Wick - Dir. Chad Stahleski & David Leitch